Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Hand Me My Cape

It was one of those days today. I just have to share it, because honestly, I didn't think I was going to make it. Really. Because yesterday wasn't as bad but yesterday I felt like I was going to have a panic/anxiety attack/stroke/heart attack and today was worse. Since I don't know what any of these feel like, I can't tell you which it is.

At 5:30 this morning, the weatherman informed me that the temperature was -22º below zero...without windchill. Factor in the windchill, -35º. Yipee. Did you know that at -40º,  exposed skin will freeze in 5 minutes? Just so you know.

Got the boys up and out the door, we were making good time.  It was going to be close, but we were going to catch the bus, even if it meant cutting him off at the intersection (which I've been known to do)... until we reached the railroad crossing. With a train. Which after waiting two minutes, decided to back up...stop...and go forward again. As a side note: trains should not be able to run across major intersections between the hours of 7AM - 8AM and 4 - 6PM. Just a thought. People would be happier.

Dropped Little Man off at daycare, drove the other one to school. At the school parking lot, faked the door being stuck and forced-hugged him in front of his friends. (My revenge for him being slow and making us late this morning -- hee hee).

Got to work and was informed that deadline was pushed up by 4 hours so the boss can pick up his kid. I am a Graphic Designer/Art Director, this squashes any iota of creativity. Not to mention that this was a bit of a surprise to our sales reps who decided to respond with stubborn resistance. (more to come on this). I also freelance on the side as a designer for my own business called Aardvark Graphix (shameless plug), and wish I could freelance full-time, but the work isn't steady enough. Another side note: Am getting sick of being a designer so earned a degree in small engine repair. Who knew that would add more responsibilities? Anyway...I had a huge freelance project that was giving me nothing but bleeding ulcers, because the guy I was doing it for is a complete saint and I wanted it all to end well. I needed to sign off on that job..discretely (because I'm at my "real" job"). Arrange covert meeting at elevator, sign, done. Back to deadline. I get a call from my insurance agent who is in the process of transferring my home owner's insurance and finding me a better deal on health insurance. (I currently pay $600 a month for a family of four. Suggestions? I need them, can't afford this). Have him visit over lunch (15 min) hour and sign. Also manage to register my son online, for baseball this summer. And oops, totally spaced out credit card payment (but don't worry, they HAVE reminded me), make payment on phone (and no I am NOT interested in anything, get off my phone!)

Again, back to deadline.

Four hours after updated deadline, still accepting changes. (Whooooosh! Anyone else feel that deadline fly by? Or was it just me?) Have unfinished business at 5:15, but have to pick up children. So must leave work and start car, and wait...(it's -35º remember? Oil is sludge. God bless you auto-start).

Pick up kids. Big K having an awful day (always does when one particular girl is there, but I know I'm only getting one side of the story...I've seen it before). In the car and home. Phone call from sales rep (why did I give out my cell?). Will have to finish ad in the morning. Okey dokey, have to run an errand for my mom at Hobby Lobby (don't mind this, I love my mom. It's the other people I have trouble with). While at the store, concentrating on item numbers from computer printout from mom, I receive phone call from client of aforementioned sales rep. Need changes and approval tonight. It's her birthday (wish it were my birthday, then I'd get drinks and cake). Attempt to write changes down on any scrap of paper I can find in my purse. Unwrapped a tampon and used that. Disguestting, I know, but you do what you gotta do.

Rush home and fire up the laptop. Long story, short, spent three hours back and forth with birthday girl getting the ad right. She still has to run it through three superiors for approval in the morning. In between phone calls with the client, I managed to send a file to freelance client, call mother of Big K's friend who's having a slumber/birthday party in two days (Big K's first one, so had to warn her why I'm sending a phone number with him and she speaks halted English--challenge!!), cook a waffle for Little Man, interact with the boss via phone one HIS changes need  get those taken care of, remind my hubby of open house tomorrow night for Little Man's school (Pre-K *sniff*) and inform him that he now has to pick up b-day present tomorrow, call my mom to let her know I'm sending her stuff in the mail and tell her I love her (because she's traveling and you just never know). I also checked over Big K's homework...oh, and did I tell you I actually remembered that he needs to bring a ziplock of 100 somethings because it is the 100th day of school on Tuesday, so I bought star-shaped beads?

And now I'm here. Venting. With one drink because I damn-well deserve one. I love wine, but I'll take a Vodka-diet. I'm not picky. Hand me my dang cape.

P.S. Remind me to tell you about the guy who called me at work this afternoon to rant about how receiving direct mail caused him to have his heat shut off, because not only do I design, I answer phone, file, babysit.... May have to post with a lot of swear symbols.

P.P.S. I apologize for excessive use of "...." and "(   )", couldn't help myself.


  1. I know there are a lot of MORE "Super-er" moms out there. I admire you!

  2. I don't know who posted the above comment, but I TOTALLY agree. There are a lot of super parents out there who do way more than I do. My hats off to them!

  3. I have those same days - thank GOD I am not alone!! I was really mad last night, everyone always leaves me at work - they dart out like 4:48... I'm on the phone with a very SLOW talker, my daughter is calling my cell phone, everyone is shouting goodbye, then a half hour later I finish work stuff up to walk out and realize that I had my car running (to warm it up) but my offce key is in the car at the end of the lot, so back and forth, back and forth. Sometimes people look at me oddly when I am yelling at no one in my car as they drive by.....