Sunday, April 10, 2011

Living On A Budget? My Top 10+ List To Save Money.

Since I've technically been unemployed for a little over 2 months now, and since technically my husband and I are NOT good savers for a rainy day, things have gotten tight. I mean really tight. Especially when gasoline has reached nearly $4 a gallon now, fresh produce is outrageous, and no matter how hard I wish, the bills keep coming in. I'm sure you're all feeling some type of this pain in your own lives.

I'm a worrier. I start playing out the scenarios in my head about what will happen if I don't find a job...soon! I mean a real job. I hate being on unemployment, not only because of my own stupid pride, but because of the hoops that they insist you jump through to collect not even half the amount you were making at you're previous 8-5. By the way, ever have a question for them and you want to talk to a real person? Yeah, good luck with that.

Anyway, instead of counting sheep to fall asleep at night, I've been trying to think of creative ways to save and make money. Here's what I've come up with:

•Warmer temperatures have created a nice little lake in our backyard. Consequently, we have TONS of birds splashing around in the water and plucking the fat little worms who have come up for air from our over-saturated soil to eat. I'm throwing the uneaten crusts from my son's PBJs out there too, because, hey, fat little robins could equal "game hens" for supper.
Finger lickin good!


•I'm collecting all the lint/dog hair/dirt in the dryer trap to knit socks, as soon as I learn how to knit.

•Strict enforcement of the "If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown, flush it down." This will be an easy task for my boys, since this is their standard mode of operation.

•Pancakes are not just for breakfast any more. They expand to ten times their size once in your stomach and will keep you full through the entire weekend.

Ka-boom!


•Who needs soda for the kids? Add a little Alka-Seltzer to grape a Kool-aid pack at 25¢ each, wah-lah, grape pop.

•One lightbulb on at a time. We'll move from room to room as a group.

•I'm installing a quarter slot on the computer and the X-Box. If you want to play, you'll have to pay.

•The potatoes in the pantry that have sprouted will be planted in the backyard soon.

•What do you mean it's not pajama day at school EVERY Friday? It saves on laundry loads.

•I'm stocking up on various flavors of Tic Tacs to use as Easter candy this year.

They kind of look like jelly beans.


•Coupons, coupons, coupons.

•You think you can waste food? No way. I will save it and it will be reheated until it's gone or grows mold. You decide.

•You don't need a new Slip-N-Slide, Hefty garbage bags and left over rain water will do just fine.


And lastly...

•You want to watch Sponge Bob? Or any other cartoon that I've seen a million times? Hop on the home-made bicycle generator. Suddenly, TV will not be worth it.

Not kidding.


Have any suggestions? I'd love to hear them!

1 comment:

  1. We have groundhogs - so come on over when you are sick of bird. I like your ideas - wanna collaborate on a book?
    Another good one - Pimp out the hubby -brings in money and well, gives us a break ;) (kidding of course!) kind of...

    ReplyDelete